1. Track everything: This is my number one tip. Whether it's your workouts, your nutrition, or your body measurements- measure it. Recording your workouts will ensure you're constantly challenging yourself and increasing your weight, reps, or sets. Tracking your intake will ensure maximum results from the gym, getting you stronger and closer to your goals. One of the most motivating things you can do is take progress photos. I know they seem lame and to some people they think you're weird for taking them but TRUST ME. The scale is so inaccurate in the schemes of things. You need the body measurements and progress photos to keep you motivated!
2. Consistency is Key: You don't have to have a perfect workout every time you go to the gym. However, learn to be consistent, put forth an effort, and you will see results.
3. Love the Process: Do what you love and love what you do. Choose a method of exercise that you enjoy whether it's cross fit, rock climbing, yoga, etc!
4. Set reasonable goals: If you have something to work towards, you'll reach them a lot faster. Set both short term and long term goals to keep yourself on track!
5. Schedule your workouts, and tailor them to your lifestyle: Everyone has a different schedule. Those who claim to "not have time for the gym" haven't tried to put their health as priority hard enough. You can and will find what works for you. Sure this may mean doing cardio 30mins during lunch and weightlifting 30mins before heading to work, but you CAN fit in time for your health. Everyone has time for it.
6. Find balance, and indulge in moderation: As you find a routine that works for your lifestyle, make sure you settle into a long term plan. This is a change to a healthier lifestyle, not a temporary diet to lose weight. In order to make it sustainable you have to find a balance. Indulge in moderation and learn to love your healthier lifestyle!
7. Challenge yourself and "Just do it": We all have those days we get to the gym and just want to drive away. These are the times you just have to do it. It may feel awful in the moment but remember how consistency is key? It won't always stink, but sometimes it does. Along the same lines, you need to constantly be challenging yourself. Add more weight, add more sets, more reps- whatever it is to keep you moving forward.
8. Trust the process and don't be afraid to fail: Don't be afraid of stepping foot in the weight room, don't be afraid of picking up the heavier weight, don't be afraid of eating too much or eating too little. If you have proper guidance you must trust the process and let your body transform. Do the work and the results will come.
9. Find a friend/team: Having a partner at the gym will motivate you to get there, help push you to go the extra step, and will help with spotting. Never be afraid to ask a stranger for help if you need it too!
10. Research everything: Whether it's proper form or supplements - make sure you're educated and know what you're doing to your body. The smallest form adjustments can make the biggest differences in your training and you should always know what you're putting into your body.